Monday, February 20, 2012

Dead Runner Conference

Way back when I bought my first Mac computer, I discovered a group of running addicts who had formed an internet email group called the Dead Runner Society. Ever since then I have been very involved with reading, posting and discussing all manner of topics with these people. Once a year the group meets for a World Conference. I have previously attended two of these and it was very interesting to meet people with whom I had been interacting on the internet. In addition, I have met some of these people at races and when they visited my area or I was in the area where they lived. Usually, when I have come face to face with these people, I immediately felt like I had known them for a very long time. This has been especially true with the invention of Facebook where we have been sharing photos.

Since Thursday, Hollie and I have been in Austin, TX for one of these Conferences. This has been quite an experience. I think there were 57 people registered. We have spent quite a bit of time eating, running and just hanging out together. It is amazing how these people immediately become friends and it will make our future communications so much more meaningful. This experience is not for everyone. Many people would not be able to relate to us or would want to do so. But, for me, this group has become a huge part of my life.

Hollie is not a member of the group in that he does not post, nor does he lurk. That does not keep him from feeling that he is a “member” because I frequently discuss with him some of the group’s discussions. I really have appreciated how the group has accepted him while we have been at the conference. I guess I should have expected that because they are such sharing people. How could they not be?

We will be leaving Austin in the morning and will go to Houston to visit a friend for a couple of days. We should home by Friday. I’m ready since we will have been on the road for almost a month.

1 comment:

Peg S said...

It was wonderful to meet you at the conference! I hope someday I can travel your way and we can run a race together. You will leave me in your dust! :-)