Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hollie Ran The Entire 5K

Hollie and I ran a 5K in Anacortes, WA this morning. The race started at 9:00 am with the temperature about 60-65 degrees. Since his severe ankle injury (now has 2-3 steel plates and 10-12 screws), this the first 5K that he has run the entire distance. I'm not sure of his time, but if they had age groups, he would have won. 

I have many excuses as to why I did not run faster. I did not taper. I haven't been doing consistent speed work, I did a speed session on Thursday. I could go on and on. But the reality is that I m pleased with my time. Since fracturing ribs early in the year and then having severe bronchitis, it seems like it has taken me forever to get back my usual fitness base. I do still have pain in the rib area, but that does not impact my running. It does prevent me from doing some of my usual weight lifting.

Enough about all that. I am happy to be racing! I would have been 1 or 2 in the AG with a time of 29:07. I really wanted to get down into the 28 something, but the course had a couple of 1/4 to 1/2 mile segments on sidewalk that had some unevenness which caused me to be slower (cautious) on those sections.

There was a 62 year old youngster who was faster than I so if it were 5 year age groups, I would have won and would have been 2nd if they had 10 year age groups. There were over 200 in the 5K and I'm not sure how many more in the 10K and Half Marathon. I'm guessing there were 500-700 total racers.

No comments: