Thursday, September 12, 2013

Toe injury did not stop me

Last Friday I did a yoga class which was quite challenging. Toward the end, I was not paying attention and when moving from one pose/position to another, I did not lift my foot enough and when stepping back, I drug my foot. This resulted in the nail on the second toe of the left foot being pulled back from the toe bed. It hurt like Hell! I knew right away that it would be quite sore in the coming days. Sure enough, by evening it was throbbing with pain.

If you have been reading this blog, you know that I am really trying to get back into actually training and my plan called for a 6 mile run on Saturday. I figured I'd just get up early, probably have to drain any fluid from the swollen/painful area, and go ahead and give the run a try. When I awoke on Saturday, I was surprised that it was not as swollen and painful as I had anticipated. There was no fluid to drain. I headed to the Trace for my run. Although I had some discomfort, the only pain I experienced was when I walked a bit at the turn around and when I stopped for water. Running did not really hurt and I did the 6 miles at a 10:53 pace.

So far, the rest of the week as been good. On Monday, I got up early and ran 4 miles @ 10:43 before going to a yoga/Pilates class. Tuesday is usually a speed day and since I am trying to get back to the basics, I did what I call "introduction to speed" which involves doing 4 x 100, 3 x 200, 2 x 300 and 1 x 400 at 5K race pace or faster. I did them at just over a 9 minute pace with equal distance jog recovery.

One of the things that I really like about living in Timberton is that I can easily walk/run to the Family Y. From my front door, if I take the direct route, it is 3/4 of a mile. If I want to make it 3.5 miles or longer, there are all kinds of things that I can do to add distance. What I did was to go down Timberton and then left on Bonhome and then left into Tatum Park. I ran for 3 miles at 10:25 pace and walked on to the Y where I did my weights and then walked home.

Today will be a Pilates class, followed by 2 miles at an easy pace on the treadmill. Tomorrow, I will do a yoga class and on Saturday I will do a 5K race. My goal for the Labor Day 5K was not to walk. My goal for this one will be to get under 30 minutes, with a more lofty goal of being under 29 minutes.

No comments: