Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Denali National Park

Rain, rain and more rain. The rain started early this morning and has continued most of the day. We arrived at Denali National Park a couple of hours ago and the campgrounds were all full, but we got a space for tomorrow and the next night. We also got seats on the 11 hour shuttle/tour bus for Thursday. This is one of the few ways that you can see the interior of Denali (other than backpacking or biking) and we decided to go for it. We had choices of 8 hour, 11 hour or 12 hour trips. A person at a visitor center told us that the only way to really see MT McKinley is on the 11 hour and of course, we want to see that.

We are now at a private campground a couple of miles from the park. It has cable tv and internet. Can you imagine that with a charge of $36, they still charge $3 for a 10 minute shower? Since we have been boondocking (no hookups in a Wal-mart parking lot) for the past two nights, I may just have to pay that or use our tiny shower.

The temperature is currently 50-55 degrees and it's raining. I would like to get in a workout today and tomorrow because I know I won't be able to do so on Thursday. I may just have to put on some rain gear and head out. I know my Hattiesburg friends would love to run in those temps, with or without rain.

No comments: